Friday, May 30, 2014

Appalachian Trail, Deep Gap to Carter Gap to Timber Ridge Trail

Photo by Monica Ealey

Oh Happy Day!! I am backpacking with most of my crew. It seems like we have been trying forever to get together and finally we put together a trip that 6 of us could make! So Friday morning Monica and Carrie met me at my house and headed to Deep Gap, NC. We would head up the AT to Carter Gap and would meet Sassafras, Salt, and Leslie there at camp. They had to work half a day, so they would be taking a side trail to meet us.

Of course, anytime you hear the word GAP on the AT means you have to climb, so that is what we did right out of the car. Standing Indian Mountain is about a thousand foot climb over 2 miles. I hate to climb, but thankfully the trail here is well graded, and has switchbacks in all the right places. Being the first long BP trip of the year, we were all taking our time, and just enjoying being together. We kept hearing thunder off in the distance and about 2/3 of the way up it was time to put on the rain gear. I am notoriously slow on the uphills, so Monica and Carrie had gotten a little ahead of me. I stopped near another hiker to put on rain gear, and he told me to take the time when I got up to the summit to take the blue blaze to a vista. We chatted a few minutes, then he headed up the trail. I started moving again and caught the others who had stopped to put on their rain gear too. Trust me, if you ever climb this mountain take the time, the view was absolutely amazing.

After a short break we began the 4 mile descent towards Carter Gap. Again, nicely graded, nice switchbacks in all the right places. My legs felt great, I never felt like I was going to die, and I was having a fabulous time. At about mile 6, I started feeling a twinge in my lower back. Two years ago I had a still diagnosed back issue that kept me out of work for 2 weeks. My chiropractor has been working on it, and has been keeping me going, but I could tell something wasn't right. I had to stop more often and take that pack off just to relieve the pain. It helped, but only for a moment. But when you are in the middle of the woods, there really isn't anything you can do except keep trudging on. Carrie and Monica were awesome, they kept an eye on me, and stayed close enough just in case I needed them. They are much faster than I am, so I am grateful that they are such good friends and put their paces aside to keep me company. We finally made it to Carter Gap and set up camp near the old shelter. I quickly got the hammock up and spend just a few minutes in there hoping to take some of the tension off my back.

It seemed to relieve some of the pressure, so I was feeling better about the next day. Soon after I got up, Salt, Sassafras and Leslie showed up at camp and it was the best feeling in the world. Once again I have to tell you how blessed I am to have these women in my life. We met through Trail Dames, became fast friends and they are all so special to me. We had a great evening sitting around, telling stories and basically enjoying this thing called hiking that we love so much. We all turned in around 9:30 and I was soon asleep.

Morning came, and my back had stiffened up considerably through the night. I knew then that my hike this weekend was over. There was no way I could make it up Albert Mountain in this pain. So Salt, Leslie and I hiked back to the Timber Ridge trail and took it down to the cars. This hike was very nice, but I just couldn't go. I was stopping like every 20 minutes to take that pack off. The plan was to hike to the cars, drive to Wallace Gap and hike back to meet the others at camp. I just couldn't do it. So, I made the tough decision to leave my friends and head home. I will come back and complete this section, but this time it just wasn't meant to be.


As I sit home and contemplate this trip I have learned a few things.

1.  My legs are in shape. Even after a 10 mile day, they felt strong. Even after several climbs they felt strong.
2.  I have to make a point to hang out with these women. We are all so different, come from different places, have different life situations, but together, we are one. We are good for each others souls. We thrive when we are together. We HAVE to do this more often. No amount of money could pay for the therapy we get for free when we are together. These women are my sisters. Missing were Hemlock, Stillwaters and SHOE, but they were there with us in so many ways. They too are my sisters.
3. No matter how much I gripe and complain....I love being out there. It has to happen more frequently. It HAS TOO.


You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through- Rosalyn Carter.

No comments:

Post a Comment