Friday, April 26, 2013

Beginner BP trip with the Dames

Ok, so I'm having attachment issues. I quit TD. I quit Meetup. I deleted my part of the TD blog. I have tried to cut all ties, but I keep getting sucked into events. Like this one. But now I am so glad I went through with it. It was one of the best outdoor experiences I have ever had.

Anyways, Saturday morning....I am up early, way too early, but I am so excited about this trip. Why am I so
excited you ask? I mean, it's just a little short backpack on the AT. On a section I have done several times, during thru-hiker season, which means a crowd at the shelter. I am excited because 7 years after starting to follow this woman's trail journal, I am going to backpack with her..........on the AT. Yes folks, Certain is in the house. If you want to read her journal Click here, you'll be glad you did.



So moving onward. We leave the house and head to Woody Gap to meet the other dames. Everyone takes advantage of the last semi-clean privy and we are off, heading up FS 42 to Three Forks. There we meet the rest of the Dames, Wendy, Jennifer, Donna, Diana, Fran, Pam, Catrina, and Kirsten. Jules is meeting us at camp, and Hemlock is meeting us somewhere on the trail. We take our time heading NOBO on the AT to the blue blaze trail to Long Creek Falls. Let me just say, the falls were amazing. All of the rain we have had this spring had the falls just filled with water, I have never seen them so magnificent. We had lunch, took pictures, met Angel, a thru-hiker on his first day out, adjusted packs, then headed back down the trail.

At Three Forks, the rest of the group headed south, while I jumped in the jeep to drive up to Springer, so we would have a vehicle at the end of the hike. Well, I almost made it, but about 2 miles from the Springer parking lot, I had another blow-out. That makes 2 in 6 months. Needless to say, I am not happy with Goodyear right now. So I luckily made it to the springer parking lot, parked, and decided not to deal with the tire. It's not going anywhere and I have a hike to do. So I quickly donned my pack and headed North on the AT, destination Stover Creek shelter. The sun was shining, the temperatures were warm, but not hot, the birds were out, and it was a perfect day to be on the AT. I passed a couple of guys starting their thru-hike. Their gear was, well, old. I bet they drop a bunch of money at Mt. Crossings on new gear.

Made it to the shelter in about 30 minutes, and soon the other Dames arrived. We all picked out our spots and quickly set up. We had dinner, then spent some time practicing hanging bear bags. I must say, these dames were great sports, and quickly mastered both the PCT version and the "certain" version of hanging bear bags. The rest of the night passed by so quickly, sitting around the pretend campfire, reading fortune cookies, telling stories, and talking about our favorite things. :) I laughed so hard, I think I gave myself a headache. This is the part of Trail Dames, I have always liked the most. The comraderie built around the campfire. The sharing of stories, the laughter, the fun. This is what I will miss the most. Well past hiker midnight we all retired to our own tents/hammocks and soon I was asleep.

Sunday morning, we all got up early and broke camp around 8:15. We met other members of the group a couple of hours later at the Springer parking lot and hiked up Springer Mountain to celebrate the 6th birthday of the Trail Dames. We made it to the summit, had a champagne toast, hung out a bit to take in the views and fellowship, then we made the trek back down to our cars. After Certain gave in impromptu lesson on changing tires, we said our goodbyes and headed home our own seperate ways.

I am so glad I made it to this trip. It was good to hang out with my friends, and the newer dames. I began to mend some almost broken friendships, and I got to hike and backpack with Certain. It was truly a perfect weekend.


You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through- Rosalyn Carter.

1 comment: