Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Third times a charm...or a curse, I can't decide.

Finally, life clicked into place and I was able to complete the GA section of the AT over Memorial Day weekend. I was accompanied by my friends Carrie and Diana. All I can say is wow! We pushed it too hard, Dick's Creek to Bly Gap day 1, and Bly Gap to Deep Gap day 2. We had 3 days scheduled. We kept pushing ourselves. We shouldn't have.


Highlights.

  1. That nice grassy, shaded area at the junction of the trail to the Plum Orchard shelter. We took a long lunch break here. I almost fell asleep it was so perfect. 
  2. Hundreds and hundreds of pink lady slippers around the Blue Ridge gap area. Stunning
  3. Being in the woods, away from work. 
  4. Seeing the sign for the Chunky Gal trail. Or as I like to call it...MY TRAIL :)

  5. Finally seeing that GA/NC state line sign, the gnarled tree at Bly Gap, and a good nights sleep in my faithful Warbonnet hammock. 
  6. Yogi-ing a ride from Deep Gap to Franklin. 
  7. That first sip of ice cold Diet Dr. Pepper. Ahhhhh!








Low lights.
  1. Climbing. There were way too many ups for my liking. The worst was that climb out of Bly Gap. I don't even want to talk about it. 
  2. The stupid scout leader that called out for Logan like 2,000 times. Including after 11:00. I wanted to shove my hiking pole down his throat. 
  3. Bonking for the first time. I literally did not have the energy to take another step. Thanks to my hiking buddies who were forcing food and electrolytes down my throat, I more or less recovered. Thanks Carrie for the electrolyte solution, and thanks Diana for the Pringles. 
  4. After said bonking experience, I did not want to spend another night or day out in the woods. Luckily, we were able to hitch a ride to Franklin, and had a friend pick us up and take us home from there. 
I think I need to go back and do this again. And I need to take my time and enjoy it, instead of setting unrealistic mileage goals for my first trip of the season. Maybe. 





You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through- Rosalyn Carter.

No comments:

Post a Comment